For one very simple reason, we didn’t want to give up control!
I know it sounds a little crazy but when we first started as female entrepreneurs we were so hands on that it became hard to trust that someone else could, “do the job.” We wanted to be sure our “voice” continued in everything we did.
We used the excuse that we, “couldn’t afford to pay someone else,” after all we were in the beginning stages of our entrepreneurial journey and money was going out as fast as it was coming in.
Unfortunately this type of mindset really slows down your business growth. We heard an interview where Richard Branson talked about how important it is for an entrepreneur to give up control of, as much as they could as soon as they could, so they are able to focus on business growth and new ideas.
This was an Ah-ha moment for us. We realized that the, “we can’t afford it,” excuse we were telling our selves was really false.
It was our own negative voice or ego talking. True as female entrepreneurs we needed to maintain our voice, but we still needed to outsource things that were more task oriented. So we made a decision on which things could easily be given up and have no effect on the “personality” of our business. We needed the time to expand our business that outsourcing provided us. So we dug in and expanded with outsourcing and…
today we share our favorite sites and why we like them.
- HireMyMom.com is a great place to hire other moms in the US and Canada. You place an ad with the price you want to pay. The price will vary depending on the job you need done and the skill that is required. The hourly rate will vary but typically runs between $15 to $30 an hour. We would generally recommend that you start in the lower range and as your business grows and the responsibility grows then the hourly rate would increase also. It really varies though with the job you want done and the experience or expertise needed to complete the job. One of the reasons we like this site is there are no communication barriers. You can find women to do just about any job on this site, virtual assistants, helping with newsletters, blog postings, and graphics.
- Odesk.com is another great outsourcing company. Odesk has people from all different countries so the hourly rate is typically very affordable. One of the disadvantages this site and sites like this is there may be some communication barriers. With Odesk, you simply place a job opportunity and job description on the site and people will bid on the job. You then select the one you feel will meet your requirements. We have found this to be a great site to find someone to do article and blog posting for $2.50 an hour.
- Onlinejobs.ph is an outsourcing company hiring people in the Philippines. This is a great source to use for graphic designs, posting blogs and transcribing. Similar to Odesk finding people here may take a little longer due to communication barriers and cultural differences, but this is an inexpensive way to find some great outsourcing help.
- Fiverr.com is a great place to get small jobs done for $5, hence the name fiverr. We use fiverr to get easy things done like changing your header on your blog, simple graphics, or tweaking your opt in box for your website.
- Social media. Social media sites like Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn are great places to post what help you need and ask people who they use and recommend.
We have found great people this way and what we really love about looking for people through social media is that other people have used them and liked them.
We discovered that hiring from these different sources there is a trial and error process. As you build a relationship with the people you outsource with they learn more about you and what your preferences are.
Be patient as a female entrepreneur growing your business, building a team that you love, takes a little time but when you find the right people it makes your entrepreneurial journey much easier.
We would love to hear your favorite outsourcing sites. Leave your comments below and share your expertise. And as always feel free to share this post with your family and friends
To Your Life Without Limits,
Elena & Jean
P.S. We have tons of tips and strategies to help you build a business and lifestyle that you love. Put your name and email in on this page and we will send you all the information to your inbox starting today.